How to repair cat scratches on leather with olive oil? Having cats and leather articles in your home simultaneously is not a very good combination. I have a cat back home who loves to scratch my favorite leather sofa! You can train them in to not doing it but as cats are stubborn creatures it might annoy you as they would not stop scratching the leather completely. So be prepared for some tips and hacks to use on the leather materials.
What Is Leather?
The skin of animals is pretty much like the skin of humans, it has pores in it and through these pores, substances penetrate inside it. Now the leather is made up by tanning the raw skin of animals. It is very flexible and it is bonded strongly together. This makes leather turning out to be easier to mend back. As liquids absorb easily through leather, usage of oils (generally olive oil) is best for the removal of scratches made by your cat from the leather.
Here’s how you can do it.
But first of all you have to identify the type of leather you’re working up on. If your cat has scratched any leather furniture, then the best guess is it being any pigmented, aniline, finished leather etc.
How to repair cat scratches on leather with olive oil?
- Start by determining the scratched portion, then take a small portion of olive oil and apply onto the scratched area. Use a small tool for application like a q tip or something like that.
- But first do a stain check. For this, apply a bit of olive oil on back of your leather furniture to see if it stains or not.
- Next, you should proceed the application of olive oil in circular motion around the vicinity of the scratches too.
- According to a research you must now wait for an hour and so. Check if the scratches have faded and if they have not then you must not get disappointed. Stay calm and repeat the first and second steps again with more oil.
- Now leave the leather to dry naturally for like 12 hours to a whole day (24 hours).
- If the scratches have still not faded or improved then either take this matter in your own hand and use a blow dryer to remove or extract the natural oil from the leather, spread a moist cloth over leather heat the leather with dryer.
- It is going to spread and melt the color and oil of leather which will fade the scratches away or you can also go and consult a professional.
- You can also use a leather scratch repair kit and no they are not very expensive they will cause you less than 20 to 30 dollars maybe. And the fun part is they come in a range of colors.
As they say, prevention is better than cure. Your first focus must be keeping the cat away from the leather. Many breeds of cat adore scratching leather you can prevent it by buying them. A scratching board as this will keep them away from scratching your favorite leather furniture.
I am Melissa D. Thacker, a professional blogger and freelance writer who has been in this industry for the last four years. I write articles on pet care as well as other topics that are of interest to me such as fashion, beauty, and lifestyle.
I enjoy writing for others because it helps them get their message out there more effectively which means they can help more people!